Thank you for the emails and calls regarding our January 2015 workshop to prepare business owners for the use of the new Chip Credit and Debit Cards and new EMV technology!
If you had a chance to read The Chat last month, you were able to get a peek on what’s to come with this new eco-payment system for all credit card users. The workshop is designed to educate business owners, vendors and anyone using credit and debit cards on the importance of this new way of doing business, acquiring the new technology to process credit card payments, reduce fraud, and prepare businesses to be compliant by October 2015.
· As of April 1, 2013, acquirer processors are required to support merchant acceptance of chip transactions; some infrastructure updates will be required.
· In October, 2015, the liability will shift to acquirers for domestic and cross-border counterfeit fraud card-present POS transactions if the merchant does not have an EMV-enabled POS device.
· In two more years, October, 2017, the liability shift takes effect for transactions generated from automated fuel dispensers - this allows more transition time to account for higher equipment/pump costs.
The workshop, presented by the Aztec Chamber of Commerce, will be open to all business owners in the Four Corners. It will include speakers from financial institutions sharing their expertise on the new debit and credit cards, the POS (point of sale) equipment and new technology for these new credit and debit cards, the liability switch to the merchant for fraudulent transactions and so much more. You will also learn how to reduce fraud dramatically! Lunch will be provided but seating will be limited. Reservations will be taken in December. As always, the Aztec Chamber of Commerce is here for you! For more information on the workshop, the new EMV chip technology, its players, issuers and its consumers you can read this article on EMV technology.
Chamber Business Education Luncheons
What a large turnout last month as Julie Rasor (Four Corners Economic Development) shared her expertise on Four Corners Workforce issues and what is being done at our September Business Luncheon. Additionally, thank you Hiway Grill for a delicious lunch!
So what have we arranged for you as the next topic, speaker, and lunch? Our next Chamber Business Education Luncheon is Thursday, October 16 – Legal: “Avoiding Common Small Business Legal Pit Falls” Who: Attorney, T. Ryan Lane, PC, Attorney At Law at Crash Music, 104 N. Main Ave., Aztec
Call the Aztec Chamber of Commerce to make your reservation as seating is limited. The cost for lunch is $10 per person. Mark your calendar for this informative presentation as well as the team of professionals listed below waiting to assist you in your business:
· November Business Luncheon: Thursday, November 20 – Healthcare Who: Practice Administrator - Durango & Aztec Urgent Care, Bryan Vincent
· December Business Luncheon: Thursday, December 18 – 2014 End of Year Report – City of Aztec & 2015 Overview Who: City of Aztec, Mayor, Sally Burbridge
· January Business Luncheon: Thursday, January 15 - Insurance: “Supplemental Benefits for Employees” Who: Exclusive Agent/Business Owner, Kelly Berhost, Allstate Insurance
· February Business Luncheon: Thursday, February 19 - How to Use the Chamber To Be More Effective? Who: A panel of four experts in the areas of Facebook, Advertising, Public Relations, & Business After Hours/Business Luncheons. This question and answer opportunity will help you learn how to increase your reach with new clients by using Aztec Chamber services.
Business After Hours
How exciting this gathering will be in the month of October. Join us for the “Meet & Greet” Highland Games Business After Hours event, Friday, October 3, 5 pm to 7 pm at Aztec’s one-of-kind, Microtel Hotel, 623 Phoenix Ct, Aztec, NM, 87410. You will enjoy the entertainment, music, and food that evening as well as showing our support for Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico Celtic athletes. Don’t forget about the importance of networking. Bring your business cards. Stay tuned for more exciting “Business After-Hours coming your way!
Holiday Shopping Festival
Do you like what you see? Contact us today to renew your membership. Interested in meeting and making new friends? Sign up to help out with one of our Chamber Task Forces: Networking/ Membership, Events, Marketing, IT, or ATOS (Aztec Trails & Open Spaces).
There is a lot going on and it’s all for YOU but we know there is more that the Aztec Chamber of Commerce can do to help you grow. So what is that? What topics would be of interest to you as a business owner? Where do you need the most help?
As a reminder, the Chamber is not part of the City. The Chamber does not receive funding from the City of Aztec. The work we do and its support is based solely on your chamber membership dues and the Chamber’s fundraising events. We felt it was important for you to know that as our role is to be your voice in so many levels.
Aztec Chamber of Commerce
Aztec Chamber of Commerce
110 N. Ash
Aztec, NM 87410
(505) 334-7648 (fax)
Chamber of Commerce:
City of Aztec Visitor Center: